Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Mom Is Born

Clearly what every new mom needs are more responsibilities. Among diaper changes, feedings, bathing and general all around taking complete care of another human being, I figure I should practice my new skill at doing everything one-handed, and that includes typing.

Before I gave birth, I did what most every new mom does: pour over pregnancy and parenting books. Many of which had me wondering how the heck people survived before we knew that sandwiches can kill you, babies can manipulate you and if you don't have 4oz of milk pouring out of your boobs within a few days of having the baby, then there's something wrong with you and you will have to formula feed.

I started my pregnancy journey intend on bottle feeding with formula, having the cutest crib so my baby will have a stylish place to sleep and having plenty of places to put the baby throughout the house for naps or when I wanted to get something done.
Then one day, when I was 6 months pregnant, I bought a book that had a parenting concept I've never heard of: Attachment parenting.
The more I read, the more it made sense to me and the less I thought about conventional mainstream parenting.

And then it happened. I made the decision to raise my baby with gentleness and respect. I didn't know how easy this would be until I first laid eyes on my son. This overwhelming love came over me that was almost suffocating. I swear I didn't breathe the whole time I held him, covered in vernix and screaming at the top of his lungs. Only when the nurses whisked him away to clean him up and check him over did I allow myself to take a deep breath. This began my journey of loving my baby and understanding (and fulfilling) his most natural and biological needs.





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment